Cowell Student Senate
The Cowell Senate meets every Thursday at 8:00 pm in Cowell Conference Room 132 (near the main Cowell "Circle" entrance). New faces always welcome!
WHAT IS THE SENATE?
The Senate is the student governing board of Cowell College. The Senate represents the Cowell assembly, comprised of current Cowell student, staff and faculty. The Senate acts as a central organizing body that oversees the distribution of Cowell student fees. This money is used for funding Cowell and campus-wide student events and projects.
The Senate meets weekly to discuss relevant campus issues and hear presentations about campus programs and initiatives. For detailed information, you can view the Cowell Senate Constitution, Bylaws, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For detailed information, you can view the Cowell Senate Constitution.
WHO ARE THE COWELL SENATE MEMBERS?
The Cowell Senate members are comprised of Cowell students just like you (and a staff advisor from the Programs Office). Our membership varies from year to year, but every Cowell student is eligible to become a Selectperson, a full voting member of the Senate. A list of Senate Positions is available (see page 2 of document).
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
To become a Selectperson, you must attend four Senate meetings in a quarter. At your fourth meeting, you will present to the Senate an original eight-line poem of your creation. All Cowell affiliates are welcome to attend any meeting throughout the quarter.
HOW DO I REQUEST FUNDS?
To petition for Cowell Senate funds, follow these steps:
- Write to email@example.com and request to be added to the weekly meeting's agenda. In your request, include your responses (in Q&A form) to the following questions:
- Please describe the nature and goals of your event.
- What is the location of your event?
- How many Cowell students are in the planning phase of the event/project?
- What is your expected attendance or expected benefit of your proposal?
- How many other organizations have you previously contacted for funding? How much have you received from each?
- Is this the first time you have done this event/publication/etc.? Please describe previous experience with this project.
- For publications (newspapers, magazines/journals etc.): How many copies will you print? Where will you distribute them?
- Are you willing or prepared to recognize the Cowell Senate as a sponsor of your event? How?
- How will you publicize your event/publication/etc?
- Do you plan to come back to Cowell Senate for funding in the future? Roughly how many times do you plan to come back (this quarter, this year)?
- After you have been confirmed on the agenda, be sure to bring a completed funding request form. Copies can be found on the bulletin boards outside the Cowell/Stevenson Dining Hall or outside the Senate Office (Room 135) or print the funding request PDF.
WHAT ARE SOME EVENTS THE SENATE HAS SPONSORED?
In the past, the Senate has planned and/or helped fund game nights, dances, music shows, informational meetings and workshops, open mic nights, poetry slams, student publications, guest speakers, cultural nights, and much more! The Senate also coordinates the free Loan Library.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF BEING A SENATOR?
By attending regular Senate meetings, you will hear about the very latest events being planned and the current issues being discussed on campus. You will also voice your opinions by voting, sharing your unique views and creating ideas with an extremely attentive audience. Senate members have access to the Cowell Senate Office (Room 135) for use as a study space or meeting room.
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THE COWELL SENATE?
Regularly attend Senate meetings
Check the Senate Board (located in the hallway outside the Senate Office, room 135) for meeting minutes and upcoming events
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for more info
Talk to a current Senator
Inquire at the Cowell Programs Office, Room 133, phone (831) 459-4655