Report on Cowell College 2015-2016
January 29, 2016
Dear Cowell Fellows,Alice Folkins, Beverly Iniguez-Conrique, Alyssa Rodgers, and I all hope that your Winter Term is going well. This is my Winter letter, helped by intelligent input from Alice, Beverly, and Alyssa. First, please take out your calendars and mark some dates and some deadlines.
- Tues Feb 9, the theme of College Night is The Circus. There are a limited number of tickets. First come, first served. Contact Alice.
- Thurs March 4, the theme of College Night is the Heritage of the Philippines. We will let you know when tickets become available. In the spring more College Nights will occur.
- March 17, Applications to become a Licker Chair are due at the end of this term. Consult the website or ask me about the program.
- Friday, April 1, we hope to know if you would like to march in commencement. Bill Finnegan will be the keynote. Alice Folkins will send out more information, but we can order you a robe for free if you let us know that you wish to have one by April 1.
- Friday April 29, alumnus Ren Weschler may be coming to town. More details will be sent out as we get closer to the event.
- Saturday April 30, 10 – 11:30 AM, Jim Faris will lead a panel on the early days of printing at UCSC. Many alumni will be in attendance as that is the Saturday of Alumni Weekend. Should be a great time.
- Sunday May 1, 10 – 11:30 AM, the annual brunch on the Provost’s lawn. This is the final one of my provostship. Come drink our champagne and mingle with our fantastic alumni.
- Sunday May 1, 1- 2PM, the annual Dizikes Concert will be held outside the Dining Hall. Please come! This year’s theme is AMERICANA. The generous donor will be there. Let’s thank him for his generosity.
- Thursday, May 5, the annual Deppe Lecture will take place at the Provost’s House. Expect more information from the Classics program.
- May 25, 26 and 27, International Playhouse performances in the Stevenson Event Center.
- Friday, June 3, the annual Licker lecture will be delivered by Kimberly Jannarone.
- Monday, June 6, 5 to 7 PM, Join us at the Provost’s House for the annual Spring Gathering. This will be a chance for me to say goodbye and for the next provost to say hello. The gathering will be a potluck, and I will bring prosciutto and fruit in the company of hens.
- Saturday, June 11, COMMENCEMENT. We will gather in the library at noon. Reserve your robes by April 1 please.